Stand Up for Towel Day 2021
Tuesday 25 May 2021
*People of Earth, your attention, please*
Stand Up for Towel Day is back! Along with Save the Rhino International, we invite you to an evening of fun and merriment to celebrate Towel Day in this, the 42nd anniversary year of the publication of the wholly remarkable book, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
This year, we have pulled together the very best of previous Stand Up for Towel Day gigs in an exclusive pre-recorded event featuring live footage filmed between 2017 and 2020.
Comedian and Stand Up for Towel Day founder, Rachel Wheeley (BBC New Comedy Award Shortlist, 2018) will guide you through a mix of comedy acts and exclusive panels with those associated with The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Douglas Adams.
- Performance on The Meaning of Liff from John Lloyd (QI, Blackadder)
- Panel with Dirk Maggs (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, The Sandman) and Geoffrey McGivern (Ford Prefect in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
- Panels with Kevin Jon Davies, David Learner (Marvin in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy), Arvind Ethan David (Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency), Martin Smith & Will Adams (Adams Smith Adams)
- Comedy songs from Mitch Benn (The Now Show, Zaphod Beeblebrox in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Live)
- Investigative journalism from Steve Cross (Science Showoff, Chaotic Adequate) who proves he has read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy more closely than you
- The Story Beast (Sky’s Astonishing Tales of Super Unexpectedness, The Ballad of Anne and Mary) celebrates the life and work of the worst poet in the universe, Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings
- Comedy from Paul Duncan McGarrity
- Vogon Poetry from Cerys Bradley and Katie Overstall
- Declan Kennedy and Jonathan Hearn team up as Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent in an exclusive Stand Up for Towel Day sketch
- New entries from The Guide with Angus Dunican (Chaotic Adequate, Doctor Who for Big Finish)
- Hitchhiker’s inspired poetry from The Underground Clown Club
Thank you to Kevin Jon Davies, Douglas Adams documentarian and editor of 42: the wildly improbable ideas of Douglas Adams, for making the footage available.
So, grab your towel and a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, sit back, and enjoy this special event to celebrate Douglas and raise vital funds for rhinos.
Date: Tuesday 25 May 2021
Time: 19:00 BST
After the initial premiere, the footage will remain online for one month to watch on demand.
*Please note that there is occasional bad language throughout the show.*